Honors and Awards
- 2011 -- Received BPOC Way-Paver Award (Barcode Point Of Care) from The TerraPharma Project; A project dedicated to reducing medical errors.
- 2000 -- I was inducted into the University of Maryland Alumni Association Hall of Fame in recognition of my invention of the U.P.C. code & Symbol.
- 1992 -- A display featuring my invention of the U.P.C. code, was highlighted at the North Carolina State fair.
- 1991 -- I was honored by the University of Maryland by being inducted into the "Engineering Hall of Fame". for my U.P.C. code & Symbol design. Also I was given the honor of presenting the commencement speech at the 1991 graduation.
- Achieved the eighth level of IBM's "Invention Achievement Award" program.
- 1987 -- I was inducted into the AIDC 100 as a charter member.
- 1980 -- Received an IBM Corporate Technical Achievement award for my invention of the U.P.C. optical bar code.
- 1976 -- Presented with IBM's prestigious award of "Raleigh's Inventor of the Year" for the quality and quantity of patent applications filed that year, including patents relating to the U.P.C.
- 1964 -- Patent concerning a "Card to Tape Converter" was judged to be a patent of outstanding quality and value. This resulted in additional recognition and awards in 1964.
- 1962 -- Patent concerning a "Drum Storage System" was judged by IBM to be a patent of outstanding quality and value. This resulted in additional recognition and awards in 1962.
- Received numerous lesser, but no less coveted, awards for creativity during my career.
- Was granted approximately 26 patents and have had 29 or more Technical Disclosure Bulletins published.
- First patent was issued April 10, 1962.
George J. Laurer
Return to HOME page.>
For contact information please go to my Contact Page
Revised: November 2016